Friday, June 20, 2014

Because It's My Birthday


Today is my birthday and as I am celebrating turning another year older, I thought it would be a fun idea to write a letter to who I was 10 years ago. Now I am off to eat cake, enjoy!


Dear 14-Year-Old Ashleigh,

It's been 10 years since I've seen you, and I have to say, things are pretty great. You may not know this now, but a lot of things are going to change for you. And a lot of things are (fortunately) going to stay the same, too.

High school is not too bad. You will never fit into one specific group or category. And this is a good thing because you are going to make all kinds of friends. Friends that you still talk to 10 years later. 

Your best friend? Yep, you two actually still talk. And she's going to be the Maid of Honor in your upcoming wedding. But I'll get to that in a little bit.

You are always going to struggle with your body. I know that by this point you already know that, but I just wanted to reassure you that the work you are putting in to try to stay at a decent weight is going to be ongoing. Keep it up. And no, you didn't get down to a size 4 before your 16th. birthday. Sorry.

You're going to have really crappy cars until you get your first job out of college. But you have an amazing guy around that can fix almost anything. So that will definitely be a plus for you. Oh, and you are going to total one of those said cars. But obviously it isn't that bad because here I am telling you about it.

College is going to be pretty good. Once you get past freshmen year. Take that marketing class in high school you are thinking about - it will reaffirm your love for marketing/communications. And since that is going to be your major in college, it's probably a good idea to get a head start.

That amazing guy I mentioned earlier? Yeah, you are going to totally blow him off when you first meet him. But then you two will get super close and start dating the summer you turn 16. So just wait a little longer, because he's great. And you are going to marry him. Check in with 30-year-old Ashleigh to see the status of how that's going....

Your life is going to be amazing. You will have ups and downs, though. Like losing a job that you absolutely loved. Having terrible roommates your freshmen year of college. Losing loved ones. Watching other people go through losing people. It won't be an easy ride, but I am here to tell you that 24-year-old Ashleigh made it, and she's pretty happy.

Love,

You. (aka 24-year-old Ashleigh) 






post signature