Thursday, May 8, 2014

In The Kitchen: Pistachio Pineapple Dip

Hello friends! So I will never ever ever claim to be an amazing cook - but I do have to say, my skills have improved. Thanks to the marvelous invention we call Pinterest, I have found so many easy & delicious recipes that I have tested out on Tony & he's still alive so I guess they can't be that bad, right? So whenever I try out one of these recipes I will let you all know how it goes and give ya the details in case you want to make it, too!

I completely understand that today's recipe could be made by a blind monkey, but I don't care because I think it's a good one and I want to share it with you.

Pistachio Pineapple Dip

What you'll need: 
>> 1 (8oz) package cream cheese
>> 1 c. crushed pineapple with juice
>> 1/2 c. Greek vanilla yogurt - I actually used a 1/2 c. of the toasted vanilla coconut yogurt from Dannon
>> 1 (3 oz.) package pistachio pudding
>> 1/4 c. toasted coconut, plus more to sprinkle on top - you don't have to toast it, but it will make it yummier!

How to make:
As a tip, I always leave the cream cheese out for about 20 minutes before I try to combine it in any ingredient. Blending in cream cheese is something I hate doing, so if it is already soft it is WAY easier to work with! But anyways...

>> Combine cream cheese, crushed pineapple (with the juice!), yogurt, and pistachio pudding mix in a medium mixing bowl and blend on high speed until smooth.
>> Then, sitr in 1/4 c. of the toasted coconut
>> Spoon the mix into a serving bowl and top with additional toasted coconut (if desired)
I toasted the coconut myself. Super easy - just put coconut spread out on a pan in the over for about 6 minutes on 300 degrees. Be sure to watch it though, I may or may not have burned the first batch!

This is seriously one the easiest dips to make and is always a crowd pleaser! Also, if you are trying to watch you calories this is a really great recipe to try out this summer when picnics start coming up.  I have figured out that you can get eight 1/4 c. servings out of this recipe, so if you wanted the nutrition for a 1/4 c. serving size, here it is:
Not too shabby for a little dessert. Of course, you are supposed to serve it with vanilla wafers, so that would add a little more to the calorie count, but it is also good with fruit, or honestly all by itself. Enjoy & let me know if you have any suggestions on how to improve this dip!